Try These Recipes Using Ohio’s In-Season Ingredients
Any chef knows the best ingredients are locally grown, fresh and seasonal. Chef Jared Whalen of The Coach House in Hamilton shares two recipes featuring in-season ingredients from our area: asparagus and rhubarb. Whether you grow your own or purchase from a local farmer’s market, seasonal ingredients can add flavor and nutrients to any meal.
Crispy Chicken, Asparagus & Couscous with Rhubarb Ginger Sauce
For the sauce
+ 3 stalks of rhubarb diced
+ 3 tbsp. fresh-pressed ginger
+ 2 cups orange juice
+ 1/4 Ib. butter
1. Lightly coat a sauté pan with a tablespoon of oil, then sauté the rhubarb and ginger until caramelized.
2. Whisk in orange juice and reduce by ¼.
3. Slowly whisk in ¼ lb. of butter.
4. Set aside.
For the meal
+ 2 crispy chicken quarters (legs and thighs)
+ 2 cups couscous
+ 1 bunch grilled asparagus
+ 1/2 cup corn starch
+ 1/2 cup flour
+ 1/4 cup oil
+ Salt and pepper
1. Toss chicken quarters in mixture of cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper.
2. Add ¼ cup of oil to a heavy-bottomed pan and fry chicken on medium heat until golden brown.
3. Place uncooked couscous in a bowl, cover with boiling water and a dash of oil; cover bowl tightly with saran wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Remove stems from the asparagus, toss with oil, salt & pepper then grill on medium heat until cooked al dente.
5. Plate couscous and asparagus, top with chicken and then drizzle with the rhubarb ginger sauce.
Grilled Asparagus and Potato Salad
For the salad
+ 1 bunch of small to medium asparagus
+ 10 red potatoes quartered
+ 5 shallots halved then sliced
+ 1 tbsp. oil
+ 1 lemon—zest only
+ Salt and pepper
1. Remove stems from the asparagus, toss with oil, salt and pepper, then grill on medium heat until cooked al dente; remove and cool.
2. Lightly coat a sauté pan with a tablespoon of oil, then caramelize the shallots seasoned with salt and pepper; cook slowly on low-medium heat until golden brown; remove and cool.
3. Add potatoes to a pot of boiling water and salt; cook until softened, approximately 12 minutes; remove and shock in an ice water bath.
For the dressing
+ 1/8 cup whole grain mustard
+ 1/4 cup mayonnaise
+ 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
+ Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients well.
2. Combine cooled potatoes, caramelized onions, grilled asparagus with the dressing and top with zest of lemon.